Solid Edge 2020 new release - NG Tech info
With the latest release of Solid Edge 2020, we are getting a number of new features and improvements over the previous version. In this summary we will focus on a few of the most important ones.
Changes to the built-in simulation module:
- simulation of the harmonic response of the element / system subjected to vibration: strain waveforms at defined frequencies and creation of strain and stress graphs over time,
- possibility of defining threshold volume for a single mesh element was introduced,
- displaying low quality mesh elements with individual numbers,
- "Unload the result" option – freeing a part of memory responsible for storing calculation results, very fast reloading of data is possible,
- improved "auto connectors" option in assembly simulation – auxiliary display of elements not involved in calculations,
- new environment in the "Environs" tab – "Motion” which enables complex motion animations of many cooperating parts, it is possible to stop the component at any position / moment in time and to perform a strength simulation in this state for a single component / assembly.
Figure 1. Harmonic response of the system to a load at a given frequency
Changes to the design of parts and assemblies:
- model-based definition – design information (PMI) set directly on the 3D model can now be exported to a .stp file,
- the ability to resize mesh elements after 3D scanning, and the possibility to adjust their tolerance was added in reverse engineering; it was also possible to match the mesh block to the global assembly coordinate system,
- in module assembly – "relationship repair", after editing the assembly (e.g. frame – element) the relations are not deleted, they are saved for future editing and can be recalculated,
- support for Augmented Reality has been increased by, among other things, saving assembly files to .obj format and extending the functionality of the Solid Edge portal for tablet users.
Figure 2. Augmented Reality in practice – positioning virtual assembly in real space using a tablet
Electric module - Solid Edge Wiring Design
Solid Edge 2020 improves and upgrades the electric module introduced a year earlier based on the Mentor Graphics engine and interface. In addition to standard functionalities for flat wiring diagrams, such as, for example:
- support for standard parts libraries,
- creation of intelligent design documentation,
- inspections of cables, connectors, slats, electrical apparatus, PLC drivers,
- automatic numbering of wires in any format,
- making flat assembly documentation – Harness Design module,
we also receive unique capabilities of Siemens software:
- simulation of current flow in 1 and 3-phase installations with the use of numerical methods verifying the correctness of designed installations,
- connection of flat diagrams with 3D models of devices and cabling (Electrical Routing module in Solid Edge) – we get the possibility of simultaneous work in the ECAD – MCAD system, also on separate workstations with the use of local network or the Internet.
Figure 3. Simulation of the electric current flow in a flat diagram in SE Wiring Design. The parameters of a wire that does not meet the requirements for cross section are visible
The above-mentioned improvements are only a few of many minor changes introduced in the 2020 version of Solid Edge software, this article discusses only the most significant ones – according to the author.